St. Mary’s In The Mountains Church
Virginia City, Nevada
Built in 1876, St. Mary’s in the Mountains features a dramatic design and a towering spire that made it a monument on the Comstock. After more than a century of exposure to Virginia City’s high, dry climate, the time came to restore this historic edifice to its original state. Funded by grants from the Conrad Hilton Foundation and the National Park Service, the challenge was to reinforce the structure while preserving the historic look of the church. Reyman Bros. constructed a new concealed concrete skeleton and wall bracings, re-plastered throughout, re-roofed the building, and added a choir loft, hardwood flooring, and elegant chandeliers to return this house of worship to its original grandeur.
Owner: Roman Catholic Diocese of Reno, Nevada
General Contractor: Reyman Bros. Construction
Architect: Mercedes de la Garza, AIA
Project Manager: Jace Callender
Project Cost: $2.2 million