The Courthouse’s original 1870 brick structure is now surrounded on all four sides by more modern additions. To structurally reinforce the center portion, inch-thick steel rods were placed in the existing brick walls and attached to a steel truss on the roof. The truss, connected to the sound walls of the adjoining structures, acts much like a suspension bridge. The design of the seismic retrofit was created to withstand an earthquake with a magnitude as high as 6.0. Construction took place near downtown’s busiest thoroughfare, while much of the building was still in use.
Owner: Washoe County
General Contractor: Reyman Bros. Construction
Architect: ArcForm Group
Structural Engineer: Paul Ferrari
Originally Built: 1870
Contract Amount: $269,130