Amador County, California
For nearly 6o years after the first prospectors came to California, the Kennedy Mine piled up tailings above Jackson Creek, creating a runoff hazard. In 1912, the mine's owners built four 58-foot tall tailing wheels and flumes to carry the waste to an impounding dam. Over the decades, two of the wheels collapsed and two remained standing. In June of 2001, Reyman Bros.' historic restoration team repaired and replaced the wood components of one standing wheel, which is now located in a small park. The team also added steel plates, replaced deteriorated wood, and tightened up the wheels all around.
Owner: City of Jackson
General Contractor: Reyman Bros. Construction
Project Manager: Jace Callender
Project Superintendent: Howard Peterson
Architect: Kevin Pressey, HMR Architects, Sacramento
Originally Built: 1912